I try to keep my reviews short and sweet never leaving spoilers.

You can follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Goodreads. The links are below.

Tuesday 20 October 2015

Guest Blog - Charlotte Howard


Today I thought I’d give readers an insight into the life of a writer.

I bet you think that I wake up, fresh as a daisy, and spend the day in my home office hidden in a world of romance and intrigue. Perhaps there is a mug of freshly ground coffee sat by a plate of freshly baked croissants, all in front of a large window that overlooks a vast garden, or perhaps the sea or a forest. Ha! I wish. That’s exactly how I pictured being a writer when I published my first novel.
Seven Dirty Words has been re-released by Tirgearr Publishing this year, and dreams of working in my PJs, with an entourage of PAs, PR assistants, an agent and personal editor have been well and truly dashed. I don’t get invited to expensive lunches at top-notch hotels. I don’t have a gazillion fans lining the streets waiting to have their book signed.

My home office is my front room. Writing this, I am sat in front of the TV while my two kids play Worms on the Xbox and a kitten is batting my ponytail. My laptop is a refurbished machine that my husband managed to a good deal on, and has been decorated in Star Wars stickers. I’m writing this post today, because tomorrow I return to work after spending half-term on Brownie camp. No PA is going to do it for me. No PR assistant has booked me in for a signing, and no fans are constantly bombarding me with Facebook friend requests.

Tomorrow, I will do the school run, go to the gym, write a chapter of Educating Miss Beauchamp (my next novel!), and go to work. I’ll come home, feed the kids – maybe the husband – and walk the dog. I’ll put the kids to bed, sit down in my “home office” and write another chapter while the husband plays on the Xbox, email a few reviewers, maybe update Twitter and Facebook with a buy link, and be in bed with a cup of tea and an episode of Bones or Castle by 10pm. The day after that, I’ll do it all again.
I’m still hoping that one day I’ll be a multi-best-selling author, globe-trotting to meet my adoring readers, taking selfies with the likes of Sylvia Day and EL James, and fighting over the film rights to my latest book. But until then, I’ll see you all at the next SmutFest, or Literary Festival, mingling with the other authors who work their butts off to get noticed.
Don’t feel sorry for me though, and please don’t think I’m depressed or begrudge my life! On the contrary, I’m lucky that I get to work part-time so that I can concentrate on my writing. I’m lucky to have an understanding and supportive family. But I’ve already fulfilled the dream of becoming a published author, and so now I dream of bigger things. Of being on the Sunday Times, USA Today, and New York Times best sellers lists.

Excerpt:
A couple of hours later, I woke to the sound of male voices chatting and laughing in the room below mine. I stood carefully, straining to hear the topic of conversation. I caught the words “money”, “sport” and “pavilion,” and knew instantly that TDS was in my childhood home.
Suddenly, I yearned to see him again. But, glancing in the full-length mirror by the door that led to my en suite bathroom, I saw that I was in no fit state to be speaking to handsome older men.
Dishevelled was an understatement. My hair resembled a bird’s nest, my eyes had purple rings underneath them, and the stench of sweat and sickness leaked from my pores.
I dragged myself to the bathroom, switching on the shower and letting the water run until it was almost scalding. My body trembled with a cold that only I felt. A hot shower was desperately needed. Before long, clouds of steam billowed over the top of the glass doors, informing me that it was time to cleanse away the illness that stuck to me like goosegrass.

Blurb & Buy Links:
Paige Holmes hides herself in a masculine world in a desperate attempt to remain safe.
Just as she is ready to face her fears and her past, she finds herself torn between Matt Jackson and Vance Ellery: handsome, rich, and safe – or handsome, rich, and dangerous?
Which will she choose?
The one who appears to be the most perfect, or the one who makes her use all Seven Dirty Words?

Bio & Social Media Links:
My career as a writer started when I was young, writing poetry and flash fiction for my friends and family. After a few minor successes of having pieces published in anthologies, and later on-line, I decided to have a go at writing a full-length novel. My first attempt was a bit of a disaster, but after years of practice, I finally got that coveted First Contract. Since then, I've written several more novels and short stories, and I don't intend to retire for at least another 50 years.

Charlotte lives in Somerset with her husband, two children, and growing menagerie of pets and can always be found with a cup of tea in her hand. When she's not writing or running around after small people and animals, she loves to eat curry and watch action films.

Charlotte is an active (and vocal) member of the Yeovil Creative Writers.

choward2614.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment