I try to keep my reviews short and sweet never leaving spoilers.

You can follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Goodreads. The links are below.

Thursday 20 October 2016

Author Interview - Lisa Fulham

Thank you #FosterAnAuthor2 without you I wouldn't have got the chance to interview the amazing Lisa Fulham - she cracked me up. 



Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? 
I’m a Manc lass who sounds more like she’s from Yorkshire and loves all things 90’s. I’m thirty four, been married for fourteen years and have a thirteen year old daughter. Oh...and I like to write stories J

What do you do when you are not writing?
Hummm! Work, be a mum/wife, try to see friends, run a Breast Cancer awareness campaign, read and I’ve just started to learn how to knit. As you can see, I don’t do well with sitting still.

Was English your favourite subject at school? (I sucked at it lol)
It was certainly in my top three. During my last two years in high school my English teachers saw my passion and understanding of literature and pushed me to sit a higher paper in my G.C.S.E (End of high school exams here in the UK) exam. I actually became pen friends with one of my teachers who moved away for a few years after I left school.

What did you want be when you were growing up?
A car sales rep of all things. I know that sounds a little left field, but my big brother is a mechanic and growing up he was my hero. I wanted to grow up to be just like him, but didn’t like the prospect of oil stained hands so car sales seemed a logical route.
I never became a care sales rep and at thirty four I still don’t have my driver’s licence. Life took a few turns and it’s been the best rollercoaster I could have imagined.

When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
I started writing in 2012 with six word poems on twitter which grew to longer poetry and short stories and I shared them on my blog. My first book was completed and self published in 2013.

Where do you get your ideas?
Life. Some stories have come to me from seeing a simple picture, one came to me from a wedding invitation, conversations I’ve had; a few poems have been inspired by walking down the canal near my house in different seasons. Inspiration can be found anywhere if you’re mind is open to it.

Do you work with an outline, or just write?
Mostly I tend to scribble notes, bullet points and bits of storylines and dialogue as I fly by the seat of my pants, but some stories require research and a plan sort of forms around the information I gather. I’ve never written a full storyboard for a book, but for two of my WIP’s I have character bio’s with details of their looks, personality and desires. 

Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult?
In my mid teens I discovered an author called Kate Cann who I idolised. The way she made me care about her characters was like no other authors had done before. As I got older authors like J.K Rowling, Dan Brown and Tony Parsons created worlds with their words I found spellbinding. Once I discovered the world of indie authors Cameron Lincoln and Paige Thomas helped me make my dream of being an author a reality.

Name 5 favourite authors.
Other than the ones I’ve listed above
C S Lewis
W H Auden (He’s a poet, but I hope it still )
Roald Dhal
Stephanie Meyers
Philip Pullman

What's your favourite all time book and why?
See, I’m not sure anyone can really have just one favourite book. What you connect with changes with your mood. One of my favourite books not by any of the authors I’ve already mentioned is The Curious Incident With The Dog In The Night Time by Haddon Mark. Here’s the blurb for anyone who may like to read it:
Narrated by a 15-year-old autistic savant obsessed with Sherlock Holmes, this dazzling novel weaves together an old-fashioned mystery, a contemporary coming-of-age story, and a fascinating excursion into a mind incapable of processing emotions.

Can you tell us about your challenges in getting your first book published?
I self publish all my work so the technical difficulty is no harder than uploading files and pressing publish. I have tech knowledgeable people to get those files in the format I need which leaves me to press a few buttons. The real challenges come from within your-self more than anything. Self doubt plays a big part in writing and publishing your work not only for the world to enjoy, but also review and criticise; pushing though all that is the biggest challenge by far.

How do you market your work?
Poorly lol. In all seriousness I am very bad at the marketing side of my own work. I can scream and shout from the rooftops about other author’s work I love, but when it comes to my own work I’m not very good.—having said that, I do try. I’ve hosted release events, taken part in takeovers, ran thunderclaps and promotions.

Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?
There are people and experiences from my real life which have slipped into my work along with a few of my own personal fantasies. I always try to write real people with real lives and problems so it makes sense to look at the people and lives around you for inspiration.

What was your favourite chapter (or part) to write and why?
Three things stick out in my mind for this question
The line: She was here for her first spanking, not to rip his Gucci suit to shreds and fuck upon its remains. – Out on Business
The journey of self confidence my female lead takes in the story Lust Through a Lens
My poems The Stalk Her and The Haunted Asylum

All three of these gave me wow! Did I really just write that moments.

How do you come up with a title?
Titles just kindda jump out at me, writing blurbs is much harder.

Do you write using pen and paper or laptop?
A bit of both. If I’m writing one part and something springs to mind for another point in the story then I’ll write it down. When I’m editing I need to print my work out and it becomes a mess of highlighted lines, notes scribbled in the margins and a notebook with numbered sections to be added into the book at various stages.

When writing do you need silence or background noise?
When I’m writing I tend to listen to Oasis, being from Manchester their music is in my soul and I can listen to it without needing to hear the words. When I’m editing I need silence otherwise I will end up reading the same sentence three times and won’t be able to tell you a single word from it.

What project are you working on now?
I’m sort of on hiatus at the minute, but I have two main WIP’s floating in the background.

Are there certain characters you would like to go back to, or is there a theme or idea you’d love to work with?
I love creating new characters so I don’t go back to characters and really don’t ever see myself writing sequels or trilogies. As for themes I just go with my imagination; whatever inspires me I run with.

Any author you'd like to collaborate with? What type of book would you write with them?
There are a few authors I’d love to write with and I’d write whatever they wanted if it meant I got to work with them.
Cameron Lincoln
H A Robinson
Victoria L James
Kate Cann

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author?
I was referred to as a romantic author and it made me feel dirty lol When I think of romance I think Mills & Boon.

What has been the best compliment?
People connecting with my poetry. I pour so much of my soul, my own pain and happiness into my poetry and to know another have connected with it is lifting and humbling at the same time.

Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?
To quote a famous sports company. . . Just Do It. You’ll never know if you can unless you try. Read, read and read some more and not only in the genre you want to write in either. By expanding your reading material you open yourself to new language, styles and worlds.

Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?
As small as it sounds I’d simply like to say thank you. Thank you for taking a chance on me and the worlds I’ve created, thank you for wanting to get to know me better and thank you for waiting for my next work.

Tell us a big dark secret?
Everyone is crazy and the world is our asylum.

Ebook or paperback?
Paperback. Holding a book is a beautiful thing. I still read ebooks, but paperbacks are a slight addiction for me.

Have you ever gone out in public with your shirt on backwards, or your slippers on, and when realizing it, just said screw it?
I once went out to dinner with friends and my dress was not only on inside out but it was also backwards.

Are you a person who makes their bed in the morning, or do you not see much point?
This is a constant argument with me and hubs. I HAVE to have the bed made in the morning because it feels so much nicer to get into a made bed at night.

Do you get road rage?
I don’t drive, but I get road rage as a pedestrian. I just don’t know how some people actually managed to obtain a drivers licence.

Light or dark chocolate?
Milk Chocolate rocks and I eat far too much of it #Chocoholic

Tea or coffee?
Tea mostly as I have to drink decaf coffee due to migraines.

The light side or dark side?
When it comes to Star Wars I’m Light side all the way, but in life I believe we need the dark side in order to truly appreciate the light.

Dogs or cats?
Dogs all the way. Cats are evil which is why witches have them.

What's your favourite colour?
Purple.






No comments:

Post a Comment